my other web poo:      my Pinterest       my flickr       my Delicious       my Twitter       my Spotify       my YouTube faves      my GoodReads      


Monday, July 8, 2013

My picks for Slicing Up Eyeballs’ Best of 1985 Poll

Slicing Up Eyeballs is currently in Part 6 of their Best of the ’80s, Poll: 1985. Being Slicing Up Eyeballs, the list focuses on new wave/alternative albums. From their guidelines: "the albums that made the ballot are limited to those that fall within the very loose and ill-defined “alternative” banner, generally titles from the punk, post-punk, goth, college rock, indie, synthpop, industrial, New Wave and related genres". All ten of my picks came from their ballot. I made a quick look at the 1985 albums on my MP3 player and didn't see anything else that needed to be added (although I almost added APB's Something to Believe In before remembering it was actually a compilation).

1985 didn't have as many life changingly great records for me as as 84 did, but it was still a pretty great year for music. This Is Big Audio Dynamite, Throb Throb, Tim, and Rain Dogs are all guaranteed spots on my all time favorite albums list, so putting them up here was a no brainer.

Here are my ten picks in artist alphabetical order.

  • Big Audio Dynamite - This Is Big Audio Dynamite
  • Game Theory - Real Nighttime
  • Robyn Hitchcock and the Egyptians - Fegmania!
  • Hüsker Dü - New Day Rising
  • The Jesus and Mary Chain - Psychocandy
  • Naked Raygun - Throb Throb
  • R.E.M. - Fables of the Reconstruction
  • The Replacements - Tim
  • Tom Waits - Rain Dogs
  • Yello - Stella

Alright, bring on 1986.

No comments:

Post a Comment