my other web poo:      my Pinterest       my flickr       my Delicious       my Twitter       my Spotify       my YouTube faves      my GoodReads      


Sunday, April 28, 2013

My first two attempts at cartooning with acrylic paints


I've been drawing as long as I can remember, but I've never ventured far from pens and markers. I only dipped my toe into colored markers a few times in the past year or so, so almost everything I've ever drawn has been with a black marker or pen on a sketchbook page or piece of paper. To mix things up my wife and I signed up for an Acrylic Class at the Elmhurst Art Museum. We did a still life at the first class, which was the first time I've touched a paintbrush since grade school. It was quite satisfying to actually paint something, especially something serious since even when I set out to make a more traditional drawing it tends to end up turning into a cartoon.

But I was anxious to see if I could use acrylics to do something goofier and more fun in a style similar to my doodles. Last night I sat at the dining room and knocked out these two cartoon paintings. To ease into it I started out with some familiar. Both of these are based on reoccurring doodles in my repertoire. I'm still trying to get comfortable with using brushes, mixing colors, etc, but I had a lot of fun and am happy with how they turned out. Especially since this is only my 2nd and 3rd times putting brush to canvas.


Record Eating Rabbit: My first attempt at "cartooning" with acrylic paints
Record Eating Rabbit - Acrylic on 6" x 6" canvas panel

Push Fido Push: My second attempt at "cartooning" with acrylic paints

Push Fido Push - Acrylic on 6" x 6" canvas panel

No comments:

Post a Comment